Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Before Getting Started

Before you start exercising, your healthcare provider may advise you to have an exercise stress test. This test shows how your body responds to exercise. Your exercise stress test may be done on a treadmill (a moving platform that you walk on) or an exercise bike. You may also have other special cardiac tests. Based on these results, you and your healthcare provider can plan an exercise program that is safe and effective. Questions You May Have About Exercise Talk with your physiotherapist before starting your exercise program. Be sure to mention all of your concerns and questions. Below are some questions people with heart disease often ask about exercise. • Is an exercise program safe for my heart? Exercise can help your heart in many ways. If you have safety concerns, ask whether you should have an exercise stress test. • How will I know my exercise program is helping me? You should be able to exercise longer with less effort. And your heart rate may be lower than it used to be at any level of effort. • What should I do if my heart beats too fast, too slow, or irregularly during exercise? What if I feel pain or discomfort in my chest, neck, back or ams (angina)? Or, what if I have unusual shortness of breath? Stop exercising right away and call your healthcare provider. Before your appointment with your therapist, write down your own questions or concerns. To book an appointment visit http://www.physiotherapycentres.com/contact

No comments:

Post a Comment